Another contrast, and it’s a huge section, is the entire segment on the Null Curriculum. The things you don’t teach. I’m honestly not familiar with education during Eisner’s time, but my experience growing up, your entire school schedule was set, and even university was pretty much laid out. During my time as a student, art class was just for kids. I think my last art class was grade 5 or something. There was also no philosophy, or virtually any thing Eisner mention is missing. My experience volunteering in a high school in BC in 2026 was completely different. I saw that students have many options to choose from, together with a core mandatory course list. That seems way more in line with what Eisner thought was missing.
I think the BC curriculum approaches most of those issues with an open mind, and trying to solve the issues mentioned by Eisner. Maybe the different streams of mathematics could be taken as some sort of honours classes, but I guess that is a way to make some part of math mandatory and some more complex part of math optional. From what I noticed (but I’m not exactly sure how the BC curriculum states that) students opt into those streams. The teacher may suggest to a struggling student that they could take the workplace math stream, but it is ultimately decided by the student. I guess that is possibly healthier.
No comments:
Post a Comment